All marketing is about cultivating and building relationships with potential customers and keeping an open relationship with current customers. You’ve heard it said many times, that people like to buy from those they “know, like and trust” and that goes for your email list subscribers too. The more subscribers feel like they really know you, the more they want to be part of your inner circle, the more they will buy the things that you recommend.
There is a powerful reason for this behavior. It’s called trust. You might feel at first like you are manipulating people’s feelings, using just the right words to make them feel as if they know you, just so that they buy from you. But the truth is, as long as you’re an honest person, only recommend great products and services, and practice over delivering to your customers you cannot go wrong with this technique.
- Be Authentically You – No matter who your competition is you have one powerful thing that no one has and that’s yourself. No one else can be you. You are the only person who can be you perfectly. Don’t compromise yourself for your business, it will only bite you in the butt later.
- Everyone Won’t Love You — While your goal is to make people love you, the truth is, only the right people need to love you. The right people are your targeted audience, and no one else. It’s likely you will disagree with some people in your industry, or even a few potential customers, but that’s okay.
- Speak Directly to Your Audience of One — Every last piece of email, every last bit of marketing material should be made directly for that audience of one. That perfect, ideal client that you had in mind when you started your business.
- Impress Your Audience — If you always under promise and over deliver your audience will always be impressed. They’ll always get more than they thought they would get, which will leave them feeling super impressed and maybe even moved emotionally. Do that one thing extra that differentiates you from the rest.
- Engage With Your Audience – An important element in today’s online marketing is that you need to engage with your audience on a whole new level. Your audience is not a number, or a cog in the machine. They are real people who need your attention. Find ways to engage with them, respond to their questions, thank them for their praise, and provide an abundance of relevant, informative, helpful and moving content.
You don’t have to go overboard and be a complete open book without any privacy, but by letting your audience into your world a bit, they will feel as if they know who you are by your actions and not just your words. Converting email subscribers to customers takes just a little effort, small reveals into your personality, so that they feel connected to you, feel like they know you, and trust you enough to open their wallets.
You can accomplish all of these things by simply injecting a little of your personality and personal news into your email marketing campaigns. Are you at the beach right now and some marketing messages are going out? Why not let your list subscribers know a bit about what you’re doing at the top of your message? Did you recently suffer a loss, or a change of circumstances, let them peak in a bit into your reality. You may be surprised at how much your audience can relate to you and how that ability to relate will translate into more sales. And hey, if you make more friends in the process, it’s a win-win scenario.
How to Develop Successful Email Marketing Habits
A big part of email marketing success, comes from making it a regular habit. The more you work on growing and nurturing your list, the better your results. To ensure you develop those great habits, be sure to join Alice for the 30-Day Email Marketing Challenge. She’ll whip you into shape in no time.