If you know the power of the mailing list (and I hope you do), you’re probably always trying to get more people on yours. Of course, you want targeted subscribers, not just numbers.
Here are a 8 must-do ways to grow your targeted subscriber list:
1. Have a Great Offer: It’s not enough to say, “We have a newsletter…join!” You have to give them a compelling reason to subscribe. You can give them a free gift like a report, software or tool. Or if you’re mailing list has some other attractive perk, include that in your offer.
2. Change Your Offer Accordingly: Sometimes the same freebie or perk doesn’t work in all instances. Change it up to fit the appropriate situation. Just like with any advertising you do, always make your offer as targeted to the audience as possible.
3. Have Multiple Lists: Not only should the freebie or perk should be targeted, so should the email you send to the list. Target your list to the specific audience. This doesn’t mean you need 30 lists, but where it makes sense, do it. For example, if you’re in the women’s health market, you may have lists for healthy eating, exercise, etc.
4. Opt-In Form on Every Page: It’s email marketing 101, but a good reminder to have your opt-in offer on the top fold of each content page. If it’s a sales page, you may not want the distraction, but for your blog, articles and other content, get that opt-in form on there.
5. Dedicated Opt-in / Squeeze Page: In addition to having an opt-in form, create a full page dedicated to nothing but “selling” your freebie/perk and opting into your newsletter. This is going to be a key piece of real estate for building your list. See the resource link at the bottom of this post for help in creating your page.
6. Link to Your Opt-In / Squeeze Page: Once you have your page set up, make sure you link to it readily. Use it in your advertising, resource boxes, signatures and more. If you expect to send a lot of traffic from one linking source, create a special landing page that welcomes those visitors and target the offer as much as possible.
7. Refer-a-Friend and Share: Ask your subscribers to pass on your emails and to share them on social media. If they like your content, encourage them to make sure others know about it too.
8. MAKE FRIENDS!: This one is HUGE. One of the fastest ways to grow your list is to make friends of would-be competitors. It’s not a dog-eat-dog world out there amongst content publishers…most of them readily share, so get to know them and these relationships will be some of your biggest assets.
A Couple of Optional List Building Tools:
These are a matter of personal preference and the second depends on the type of resources/time you have. However, they can be extremely effective in building your list more quickly.
1. Pop-Up / Footer Ad: Test different pop-ups or footer ads. They are an effective way of bringing your offer in front of your visitors and you can often adjust settings so they aren’t as intrusive. I haven’t used pop-ups much in recent years because the technology didn’t provide for as much control as it does now. I am currently testing a footer ad here and working on tweaking it, so bear with me.
2. Pay-Per-Lead Affiliate Program: Instead of just paying your affiliates for each sale, you can also pay them for each new subscriber they bring you. We’ve done this in the past with good results. It was a fairly closed program (so we avoided much of the riff raff), but you will still need to monitor for any fraudulent activity and make sure you use a confirmed opt-in process.
Here’s a post at Contentrix called Build Your List: Autoresponder Promotion 101. It includes help for creating your freebie offer, putting together your opt-in page and driving traffic.
What to Do Next to be an Email Marketing Success
A big part of email marketing success, comes from making it a regular habit. The more you work on growing and nurturing your list, the better your results. To ensure you develop those great habits, be sure to join me for the 30-Day Email Marketing Challenge. I’ll whip you into shape in no time.