How a Mailing to 98 People Beat One to 5200+
Written by Alice Seba
And by targeted, I mean everything from how you build your list all the way to how you manage it. The more targeted you are, the easier it is to profit. You don’t need a huge list, you just need to know who you are marketing to and why.
The proof of just how much targeting works surprised even me this past week when I sent out a mailing two do different lists, with one list being just under 2% of the size of the other.
Here’s what happened…
Mailing One – List Size: 98
I took a segment of one of my lists that had purchased a specific type of product and sent them a special offer for a very similar product. With a small sampling of 98, I wasn’t expecting much, but wanted to see what happened.
In the email, I acknowledged their purchase and let them know this was a special offer on a very similar item. I also used the subject line to indicate this was recommended based on a former purchase.
24 Hour Results:
- 38 clicks (Click through rate: 40.4%)
- 6 orders (Conversion on clicks: 15.8% / Conversion for list: 6.1%)
Mailing Two – List Size 5200+
Then I took a list of about 4200 customers and about 1000 prospects who hadn’t purchased anything. All these people indicated (by purchase or opt-in) that they were interested in similar products, but not necessarily a product this specific.
Because of the less targeted nature of this list, I did a straightforward promo indicating why they might be interested in this special offer.
24 Hour Result:
- 127 clicks (Click through rate: 2.4%)
- 4 orders (Conversion on clicks: 3.2% / Conversion for list: nearly zero)
Over the past couple of months, I have been doing a lot of list segmenting based on previous purchases and have been very satisfied with the results. What I didn’t expect and what surprised me was the poor result of the larger list. Of course, there are many factors involved in why it bombed, but I think the targeting lesson is still valid.
If you want to target your email marketing more, here are some things you can do…
- Ensure that your autoresponder allows you to segment your list based on specific products they’ve purchased.
- If you’re an affiliate and don’t sell your own products, work to get people into lists targeted to specific products or have them opt-in to claim bonuses, etc.
- After your customer or subscriber gets into your database, conduct small surveys that allow you to collect more information about them. This can often be done through collecting information through custom fields from your autoresponder. This will allow you to customize and target your mailings as well.
- Track all your links through email, so you know exactly what interests your subscribers. It doesn’t matter if you’re linking to content or a product, get to know your readers as much as you can.
More Targeting Lessons
Whether it’s email, blog posts or other content, targeting simply gets better results. It’s also easier to manage because you aren’t dealing with people who aren’t good prospects and are putting your focus into those genuinely interested in you and your offers….and that is REALLY one of the best perks, in my humble opinion.
It’s one of the key lessons emphasized throughout the Contententrix Better Content Marketing course, where our focus is on helping you get more RESULTS from your content without so much work. We just reopened the doors to new students and would love to have you join us.
It’s a 19-week course filled with hands-on practical advice and applications for your online business. You can even ask questions the whole way through and get answers, feedback and more.
Hope to see you there!